Functions of DIET
Every DIET has to perform three types of functions as envisaged in the Programme of Action (NPE, 1986). These are as follows:
I TRAINING AND ORIENTATION OF THE FOLLOWING TARGET GROUPS:
- Elementary school Teachers (pre-service and in-service education).
- Headmasters, Heads of school complexes and Education Officers at the Block level.
- Instructors and Supervisors of Non-Formal and Adult Education Centres
- Members of District Board of Education, Village Education Committees, Community Leaders, Youth and other Volunteers
- Resource Persons who will conduct suitable programmes for the target groups.
II ACADEMIC AND RESOURCES SUPPORT TO THE ELEMENTARY AND EDUCATION SYSTEM IN THE DISTRICT BY:
- Extension activities and interaction with the field
- Provision of service of a resource and learning centre for teachers and instructors
- Development of locally relevant materials, teaching aids, evaluation tools, etc.
- Serving as an evaluation centre for elementary schools and programmes for NFE/AE
III ACTION RESEARCH AND EXPERIMENTATION:
To deal with specific problems of the district in achieving the objectives in the areas of elementary and adult education. DIETs are a part of the larger strategy to achieve national goals in the areas of elementary and adult education. DIETs cannot, therefore, function in isolation and must play the role of supplementing and complementing the roles of other organization.
- Pre-Service Teacher Education
- Teacher Professional Development
- Education Technology and Material Development
- Assessment and Evaluation
- Field Interaction & Action Research